We have written before about Al Mohler‘s support for Donald Trump. Just to be clear, Mohler is not arguing, like some evangelicals, that Christians should not vote for Biden. He is arguing that Christian should vote for Donald Trump.
Here is the crux of his recent piece:
- Trump or Biden might die and Mike Pence is a better option than Kamala Harris. Mohler writes, “I do not have to blink in deciding between the prospect of a President Mike Pence versus a President Kamala Harris.”
- Trump lacks basic moral character, but so does Biden.
- Mohler would prefer to have Biden as a neighbor, but he is not voting for a neighbor.
- Mohler believes that “love is to be the animating motivation for political action.” Love, he writes, “leads to policies that have good moral effects.”
- The Democrats embrace a “culture of death” because of their position on abortion.
- Mohler did not vote for Trump in 2016, but he will in 2020 because Trump has delivered on his pro-life promises (read: abortion). He goes as far to say that “Donald Trump has been the most effective and consequential pro-life president of the modern age.”
- Religious liberty is under threat
- The group “Pro-Life Evangelicals for Biden” is “insanity.”
- Not voting for Donald Trump is the same thing as voting for Joe Biden
- Black people have the right to vote for Democrats, but he does not share their values.
Michael Wear, an evangelical Christian and former member of the Obama White House, responds:
By the way, if you want to understand the “historical reasons” Wear is talking about here I would encourage you to read Believe Me: The Evangelical Road to Donald Trump. (I know, I know, this is blatant self-promotion. But give me a break–I may only have one more week of relevance with this book! 🙂 )