The coronavirus is spiking again. The country is in the midst of what might be an unprecedented conversation about race. And polls show that Donald Trump is trailing Joe Biden by a considerable margin.
Trump is desperate. If he loses in November, he will limp back to New York as arguably the worst president in United States history. His growing sense of hopelessness and despair is leading him to double-down on the issues that got him elected in 2016. It’s like a Trump greatest hits album.
- Despite the coronavirus, Trump is doing “mass” rallies again.
- By virtually ignoring the new coronavirus spikes, and demonizing mask-wearers, Trump is again appealing to the anti-intellectual character of his base.
- In the midst of one of the worst public health crises in American history, Trump is trying to take people’s health care away and attacking Barack Obama.
- Trump is defending racist Confederate monuments as part of America’s “heritage.”
- He is talking about “American carnage” again.
- Trump is appealing more regularly to his white evangelical base through photo-ops with the Bible, visits to megachurches, and interviews with the Christian Broadcasting Network
- Expect him to bring up his Mexican border wall soon. I am sure he will respond to this.
It’s going to be a really bad album, but a lot of people will buy it between now and November.