I spent most of my late teens and early twenties getting schooled in dispensational theology. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out when the rapture would come, the nature of the Great Tribulation, and the signs Antichrist’s coming. I haven’t thought about this stuff in a while, but I have been struck lately by how many people–smart religious people–have been talking about the Antichrist.
A friend recently sent me a blog post by theologian Benjamin Corey, a self-identified member of the Christian Left with an masters degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and a Ph.D from Fuller Theological Seminary.
Corey dug through the Bible and found every prophecy on the Antichrist. Whatever you think about biblical prophecy, his list is very interesting, entertaining, and perhaps even revealing.
Here are a few characteristics of the Antichrist:
- The Antichrist will be a leader of a nation that is a military superpower with the ability to trample and crush the entire earth. (Daniel 7:23)
- The Antichrist will be a man who is exceptionally arrogant and will be known for giving boastful speeches. (Daniel 7:8, Revelation 13:5)
- The Antichrist will be someone known for making a lot of public threats against the people (Revelation 13:2, Daniel 7:4)
- The Antichrist will be a political outsider with despicable character and a contemptuous personality who wins an election that no one expects him to win. (Daniel 11:21)
- The Antichrist will give speeches where he speaks “great things” and then about things that are even “greater.” (Daniel 7:20)
- The Antichrist’s rise to power will seem like a miracle that God performed, tricking people into following Satan instead of God without even noticing. (2 Thess. 2:9)
- Once in power the Antichrist will reveal that his heart wants to make alterations to the “appointed times” that are in current laws. (Daniel 7:25)
- The Antichrist will make fake news popular and will be a chronic liar. His followers will believe his delusions because they hate the truth. (Daniel 8:25, 2 Thess.2:10)
- The Antichrist will draw strong support from many Christians as if they are willfully blind and outright delusional (Matt 24:24, 2 Thess 2:10)
- The Antichrist will appear to receive a wound he can’t recover from, but will survive to put down the first attempts to remove him from office. (Revelation 13:3)
- The Antichrist will worship the god of border walls. (Daniel 11:37-38)
Read the rest here.