- There was no quid pro quo (Jay Sekulow and Robert Cipollone).
- The Ukraine call was about “burden sharing.”
- Joe Biden, Joe Biden, Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, Joe Biden (Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann).
- This impeachment is too partisan (multiple members of the defense team, including Ken Starr).
- This impeachment is too close in time to the last impeachment. We are in an “age of impeachment” and this is not good for the country (Starr).
- Trump is a corruption fighter and was investigating corruption in the Ukraine by calling for the investigation of Biden (multiple members of the defense team).
- The call was perfect (Cipollone). The call was not perfect (Robert Ray).
- There was a quid pro quo, but it doesn’t matter, because Trump did not commit crime (Dershowitz).
What a mess.
Unless something wild happens, the Senate will vote to keep Trump in office. But the GOP Senators who vote against removal need an argument to take to their constituencies. This is especially the case for the Senators who are up for reelection in November. The Trump defense team has offered an entire buffet of arguments. GOP Senators can pick the one that will work best with the people in their states. It doesn’t matter if the defense of Trump as a whole is coherent. It doesn’t matter if one presentation contradicts another presentation. There is something here for everyone.