Robert Jeffress, the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, is at it again:
Jeffress is quick to condemn such “hate speech.” Yes, this is the same guy who:
- Has not addressed in any substantial way the sexual abuse problems happening in his own denomination.
- Said that Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court was an example of “good” triumphing over “evil.”
- Said that Donald Trump “did just fine” with his remarks in the wake of Charlottesville.
- Blamed the events of 9-11 on abortion
- Believes Barack Obama was paving the way for the Antichrist.
- Believes the movie Fifty Shades of Grey is a sign of the apocalypse.
- Says that Christians who do not support Donald Trump are morons
- Ignores the racist and segregationist history of First Baptist Dallas
- Defended Trump’s immigration policy of separating children from families by quoting Romans 13
- Supported Paige Patterson‘s during the scandal surrounding his treatment of women at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Defended the essence of Trump’s “shithole countries” remark
- Said “you can’t be saved and be a Jew.”
- Said, Mormonism “is a heresy from the pit of hell” and is a cult
- Said the Catholic Church is an instrument of Satan
- Implied the Hillary Clinton supporters were going to hell
- Said evangelicals who criticize Trump don’t take the Bible seriously
- Said Trump does not “have a racist bone in his body“
- Said that is “biblical” to support a “strongman”
Jeffress believes that the United States was founded as a Christian nation and must be reclaimed as one. His rigid way of seeing the world, and his arrogant claims to know the will of God on all matters, makes him one of the most divisive clerical voices in the United States.