The report by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is out and it reveals some pretty disgusting things about the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania. 1000s of victims.
Read Michelle Boorstein’s Washington Post coverage here. A few lowlights from the official report:
- A priest raped a seven-year-old girl while he was visiting her in the hospital after she’d had her tonsils out
- A priest made a nine-year-old boy give him oral sex and then rinsed out the boy’s mouth with holy water to purify him.
- A priest who was a registered psychologist hypnotized a girl and took off her clothes.
- An accused priest left the priesthood after years of child abuse complaints. Upon leaving, he asked for, and received, a letter of reference for his next job–at Disney World.
- The report states “while the list of priests is long, we don’t think we got them all.”
- One of the victims tried to kill herself as the grand jury report was being prepared.
- Boorstein notes that “the investigation is the most comprehensive yet on Catholic Church sex abuse in the United States.
Read the entire 1356-page report here.
This needs to result in a billion dollar civil suit (ok maybe tens of billions) against the RCC and criminal proceedings against the priests and their accomplices. What utter evil.
Headless Unicorn Guy says
Here in SoCal, it’s all over drive-time talk radio, morning AND afternoon.