Gina Barreca offers several tips on how to survive academic life in your early years. You can read the full post here, but I have listed her main points below.
1. “Bring re-sealable bags to any occasion where you suspect food will be served.”
2. “Write down every idea you have, even if you suspect it might never be useful.”
3. “Contact people whose work you admire.”
4. “Keep in touch with smart people and funny people.”
5. “Keep good notes.”
6. “Remember that nobody cares how long it took you to complete a piece of work; they only care that the work is completed and that it meets professional standards.”
7. “You do not get extra points for effort.”
8. “Don’t send anything to a colleague…that you wouldn’t want somebody else to see.”
9. “It will serve you well to distinguish between your rivals and your enemies.”
10. “Your students are allowed to fall in love with you.”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.