Well, I am finally in a position to reveal my very tentative Table of Contents for my book manuscript: “Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: An Historical Primer.” Everything that you read below, I might add, is subject to change.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
INTRODUCTION: How to Think Historically
PART ONE: The United States is a Christian Nation: The History of an Idea
- Chapter One: Evangelical America, 1789-1865
- Chapter Two: Liberals and Evangelicals, 1865-1925
- Chapter Three: Christian America in a Modern Age, 1925-1980
- Chapter Four: History for the Faithful: The Contemporary Defenders of Christian America
PART TWO: Was the American Revolution as Christian Event?
- Chapter Five: Were the British Colonies Christian Societies?
- Chapter Six: A Just Cause?
- Chapter Seven: Nature’s God: Is the Declaration of Independence a Christian Document?
- Chapter Eight: Religion in the “Critical Period”
- Chapter Nine: A “Godless Constitution?
PART THREE: The Religious Beliefs of the Founding Fathers
- Chapter Ten: Did George Washington Pray at Valley Forge?
- Chapter Eleven: John Adams: Devout Unitarian
- Chapter Twelve: Thomas Jefferson: Follower of Jesus
- Chapter Thirteen: Benjamin Franklin: Ambitious Moralist
- Chapter Fourteen: What About Witherspoon?: The Evangelical Founders